Lichty , Sameul Kendrick


S. Kendrick Lichty House Built 1948

Born on October 23 1900, in Lancaster, PA, S. Kendrich Lichty he embarked on the creation that became DesignReasons' home and showroom. Beginning his education at the Yeates School and the Franklin and Marshall Academy ( Both in Lancaster) he entered Marshall College for one year before transferring to The University of Pennsylvania, where he graduated with his B.S. in Architecture in 1924. At this time, he also began working for Zantzinger, Borie & Medary until 1925 where he transferred to F. Ferdinand Durang, known for their church designs. In 1927 he left Durang and joined forces with Horace Trumbauer where he stayed until he opened a firm with Stopper and Morgan in 1931 called Morgan, Lichty & Stopper located in Philadelphia in order to design the William Penn Houses in Chester, PA. However, he decided to follow his own path and had a solo practice in Bryn Mawr, PA. While living in the Philadelphia he was a member of AIA, it's Philadelphia associate, and the Philadelphia Art Alliance. Unfortunately, according to AIA (American Institute of Architecture) he retired, in 1955, from his practice in architecture because of bad health and by 1958 was basking in the sun in Boca Raton, FL, where he died. There is not a great deal written about this man, though many of the Bauhaus structures in the Lower Merion area evoke his essence.

Dolores Browne, Architect of DesignReasons restored the International House or Bauhaus designed by S.Kendrick Lichty in 2010. Lichty writings were found in a news paper on the oldest original brick house in the Lower Merion area. Adding to the all brick Bauhaus or International House Lichty designed the Times Medical Building in Ardmore.